Meditation Mondays: Regaining a Feeling of Belonging
“I stand on the deck of my cottage, looking at the sky full of God’s children, and know that I am one of them.”
– Madeleine L’Engle, A Sky Full of Children
- Dress comfortably, but warmly enough for the weather you will experience when you leave your home.
- Walk outside, and find a dark, quiet spot on your deck or in your backyard where you can easily see the stars and planets without interference from artificial lights. (If you live somewhere where this isn’t possible, try driving to a park or other public space where there is less light pollution. Just be sure that the spot you pick is safe enough for you to be able to meditate without risking your physical safety.)
- Once you’ve chosen the perfect spot, stand comfortably and begin to breathe deeply and slowly to center yourself. Breathe in to the count of four, hold for four, breathe out to the count of four, and rest for four. Then repeat as many times as you need until you feel your heartbeats slow and your relaxation begin to deepen.
- As you begin to go deeper, allow your senses to become mindful of your surroundings.
- Then, gaze skyward, and seek out a planet or cluster of stars, and ponder the words above by Madeleine L’Engle.
- Continue stargazing and breathing deeply until you feel a similar connection.